Friday, January 4, 2008

Cafe Suron Space; Liquor License

The space currently occupied by Cafe Suron will soon be replaced by a restaurant called Tas. The new owner, Aykut Sinanoglu, is looking for community support for a liquor license.

Joe Moore has called a community meeting to be held at Cafe Suron on Monday, January 7th, at 7:00 pm. Time permitting, I think I'll make it over there and listen in.

I'm undecided as to whether or not I'd like to see this place have a liquor license. I could be for it, as it always bummed us out that Suron was a BYOB. But it depends on how well the place is run, and I have no info on the new owner.

We liked Cafe Suron -- but -- we haven't been there for more than a year, because the service has just been unbelievably, astoundingly awful on every visit. Great food, but we got tired of waiting an hour for it and having wait staff feed us bologna about the food being up "any second now."

2 comments:

The North Coast said...

I want the place to succeed, so I mostly favor giving them the license. Suran, Speakeasy, South, and the Room all failed for lack of a license. A good restaurant just can't cut it without a license.

I only want assurance that this will not pave the way for package liquor for neighboring convenience stores. No reason why it should, really- Gino's North, that fabulous little bar on Granville, is still there and so is the Anvil, even though there is no more package liquor on Granville.

All said, I'm disposed to grant the request. This will be fine dining and I don't want to erect an obstacle to the success of the place.

Al Iverson said...

I tend to agree with you here, I think.