Sunday, May 4, 2008

Greetings from the Chicago Office

Well, I got the office space situation under control. A couple of false starts later, and I am now with my own office, located right near the corner of Sheridan and Lunt. Great little area, though I have to admit, I prefer Starbucks' hot chocolate to Ennui's. But, Ennui has good food, and the proximity to the office can't be beat.

I got the keys to the office space on Thursday, and have spent much of the time since then moving in furniture and making trips to the hardware store and Ikea. To move some random furniture that wouldn't fit in my car, I rented a hand truck from Clark-Devon Hardware. Worked out perfectly. It had a strap to hold furniture on, and an extra set of wheels to make rolling it the few blocks (through the alleys) pretty easy. Not a bad way to go, and I got a pretty good workout.

For internet, I have a Sprint wireless broadband modem. Latency when connecting to Google-hosted services (Gmail, Blogger, etc.) today has just been awful. Quite a few timeouts and etc. Not sure what I'm going to do about that. I'd hate to have to break down and get DSL or something, when I've already got the Sprint modem.

2 comments:

The North Coast said...

Keep me posted on how you do with your wireless, because I want to get rid of my RCN cable and go completely wireless, but so far haven't found anything 'seamless' enough to do that. Right now I have stand-alone internet cable pretty cheaply from RCN, and cell phone through Tmobile. I have no land line.

Tmobile offers a wireless modem but it needs either a "hotspot" or your home internet connection, to work. If I can't ditch my cable, what's the use?

American wireless offers wireless internet for $24 a month, but I know nothing about them.

Does your Sprint wireless internet let you discard DSLs and cable altogether? Do you need to be near a "hotspot"? How many outages a week do you have?

I appreciate any info you have, because I want to hear from a customer who has actually used the service.

Al Iverson said...

I've had the Sprint modem for quite a while now, since February 2007. You could indeed use it to replace your DSL or cable. Unless you have an internet phone; it's barely fast enough for that. I use it, it works, but I sometimes have problems.

You should just swing over to my office sometime and check out what I have set up. Feel free to email me if you like - here.

Also check out my gadget website where I review the Sprint modem and the Cradlepoint router I pair it with. (You don't need this, but it makes things easy, especially for home use.)

My first review of the Sprint modem was a bit meh; I think it was a bit slower on my old laptop, perhaps due to the older computer not being able to handle full power or speed over USB.